The following is a summary of some of the most pressing current state and local issues affecting people living with or at risk of contracting HIV/AIDS.
Advocacy and Policy Implementation at the State & Local Level
APLA’s Government Affairs staff works in close collaboration with a diverse group of community-based AIDS service organizations, healthcare providers and public agencies throughout the state to develop and implement sound public policies affecting the lives of those living with HIV/AIDS.
Policy Research Advisory Committee (PRAC):
AIDS Project Los Angeles is currently the participating community-based partner in the California HIV/AIDS Policy Research Center, funded under a three year grant from University of California’s California HIV/AIDS Research Program (CHRP). The CHRP grant funds both long-term and “rapid response” research, in order to bring the most up-to-date evidence-based research to bear on state policy issues.
In the Los Angeles Center, APLA is partnered with researchers from the UCLA School of Public Affairs and the Center for HIV Identification, Prevention and Treatment Services (CHIPTS) , on both long-term and rapid response studies. In San Francisco, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and Project Inform operate another research center in collaboration with researchers from the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS) at UCSF.
The CHRP grant also supports a Policy Research Advisory Committee (PRAC) made up of community leaders and advocates from across California in order to inform rapid research efforts and ensure that research is prioritized around the most pressing issues confronting the state.
Below you will find the Policy Research Center’s most recent policy briefs. These papers document work done by researchers at both academic institutions and will be used to inform elected officials, policy-makers, advocates and community members on HIV/AIDS facing California now and in the future.
California Alliance of HIV/AIDS Advocates:
The Alliance is comprised of seven AIDS service organizations throughout California who have an established political presence in Sacramento and who have a history of widespread, diverse and effective advocacy on HIV/AIDS-related legislative and public policy issues in Sacramento. APLA works with its fellow Alliance members to promote its state legislative agenda and to coordinate advocacy on vital budget and administrative issues.
In addition to APLA, the Alliance members are:
- Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center
- California Prevention Education Project
- Desert AIDS Project
- Los Angeles County HIV Commission
- Los Angeles County Office of AIDS Programs and Policy
- Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Project Inform
- Orange County HIV/AIDS Advocacy Team
- Sacramento CARES
- San Francisco AIDS Foundation
- Women Organized to Respond to Life-Threatening Disease
Current Action Alerts
There are no current action alerts.
Sign up for "In the Loop", APLA's action alert e-mail list, to receive the next alert in your inbox!
Action Alert Archive
- June 8, 2015 - ACTION ALERT: Ask Your County Supervisor to Support a Comprehensive PrEP Program in Los Angeles
- June 2, 2015 - ACTION ALERT: Ask the California Budget Committee to Support HIV and Hepatitis C Budget Proposals
- May 28, 2015 - ACTION ALERT: Ask the California Legislature to Help Save the AIDS Waiver Home Health Program
- April 13, 2015 - ACTION ALERT UPDATE: Ask Your Senators to Protect Funding for Community Health Centers
- March 23, 2015 - ACTION ALERT: Ask Your Members of Congress to Protect Health Center Funding
- February 11, 2015 - ACTION ALERT: Ask Your Supervisor to Support Implementation of a PrEP and PEP Program in Los Angeles
- December 12, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: Ask Your Representative to Support HIV Program Funding
- December 8, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: New Guide for Choosing a Health Plan Through Covered California Now Available
- December 1, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: This World AIDS Day, Ask Your County Supervisor to Support PrEP in Los Angeles
- November 4, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: General Election 2014 - Go Out and Vote!
- October 28, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: APLA 2014 General Election Guide
- October 20, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: TODAY is the deadline to register to vote
- September 17, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: End the Ban on Gay Blood Donations
- September 5, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: Ask Your Representative to Expand Access to Mental Health Services in Medicare
- April 18, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: California Improves Access to HIV Prevention Pill
- March 26, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: Call Your City Councilmember to Stop Cuts to HIV Programs
- January 16, 2014 - ACTION ALERT: Healthcare coverage begins now!
- October 16, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: 7th Annual San Gabriel Valley HIV/AIDS Summit
- October 10, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: Call Your Representative to End the Government Shutdown
- October 3, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: Healthcare Reform is Here!
- September 17, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: Call Governor Brown today!
- August 28, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: Healthcare Reform Outreach at APLA
- August 1, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: Ask your Representative to Support SNAP Funding
- June 27, 2013 - ACTION ALERT: National HIV Testing Day - Call In to Protect HIV/AIDS Programs